Development of biomarkers of intake and effect from a Mediterranean diet for cardivascular preventing funtions. Metabolomic approach.
Call: Convocatòria d'ajuts per a la realització de projectes de recerca i accions complementàries
Entity: Ministry of Science and Innovation
Program: Food Science and Food Technology (AGL-ALI)
Official code: AGL2009-13906-C02-01
Start date: 01/01/2010
Finishing date: 31/12/2012
Key words: Nutrition / Polyphenols / Biomarkers / Mediterranean Diet / Metabolomics
- Maria Rotchés Ribalta (FI-DGR 2010)
- Rosa Vázquez Fresno (FPI 2010)
- Montse Rabassa Bonet (project associated fellowship)
- Mar Garcia-Aloy (FI-DGR 2011)
There is a growing and high interest to know the bioavailability of the healthy compounds of food aiming to determine their role in the reduction of the risk to develop illnesses and improvement of the quality of life. The evaluation of the profits/risks ratio of a determined feed and/or of his components requires to know the results obtained in studies that allow to reach conclusions with the maximum scientific evidence on their effects on the organism and from this information to elaborate solid recommendations for the consumers. The main aim of this project is to identify robust, sensitive and reliable biomarkers, based in their bioavailability, activity and relation with the intake of some foods (markers of consumption), and to know their association with the reduction of cardiovascular risk (markers of effect). The study PREDIMED (Prevention with Mediterranean Diet) is a clinical trial of feeding intervention that pretends to evaluate with the maximum level of scientific evidence the efficacy of the Mediterranean diet in the primary prevention of the cardiovascular disease. Until now, 7500 participants with high risk have been included, of which 3874 have been followed during more 3 years. For this study, we will select at random 600 subjects with high risk, divided into the three intervention groups (Mediterranean diet plus olive oil, 200; Mediterranean diet plus nuts, 200) and low-fat diet, 200). All participants will fulfil a food frequency questionnaire, a physical activity questionnaire, and another in which main vascular risk factors will be evaluated. In addition, biological samples will be obtained at baseline, and years 1 and 3.
- Visioli F, Alarcón de la Lastra C, Andres-Lacueva C, Aviram M, Calhau C, Cassano A, d'Archivio M, Faria A, Favé G, Fogliano V, Llorach R, Vitaglione P, Zoratti M, Edeas M. Polyphenols and human health: a prospectus. Critical Reviews on Food Science Nutrition. 2010 [en prensa].
- Llorach R, Garrido I, Monagas M, Urpi-Sarda M, Tulipani S, Bartolome B, Andres-Lacueva C. Metabolomics Study of Human Urinary Metabolome Modifications After Intake of Almond (Prunus dulcis (Mill.) D.A. Webb) Skin Polyphenols. Journal of Proteome Research. 2010, 9 (11): 5859-5867. PubMed
- Garrido I, Urpi-Sarda M, Monagas M, Gómez-Cordovés C, Martín-Alvarez PJ, Llorach R, Bartolomé B, Andrés-Lacueva C. Targeted analysis of conjugated and microbial-derived phenolic metabolites in human urine after consumption of an almond skin phenolic extract. Journal of Nutrition. 2010; 140 (10): 1799-1807. PubMed
- Bartolomé B, Monagas M, Garrido I, Gómez-Cordovés C, Martín-Alvarez PJ, Lebrón-Aguilar R, Urpí-Sardà M, Llorach R, Andrés-Lacueva C. Almond (Prunus dulcis (Mill.) D.A. Webb) polyphenols: from chemical characterization to targeted analysis of phenolic metabolites in humans. Archives of Biochemistry and Biophysics. 2010;501(1):124-133. PubMed
- Monagas M, Urpi-Sarda M, Sánchez-Patán F, Garrido I, Llorach R, Gómez-Cordovés C, Andrés-Lacueva C, Bartolomé B. Insights into the metabolism and microbial biotransformation of dietary flavan-3-ols and the bioactivity of their metabolites. Food and Function. 2010;1(3):233-253. Abstract
- Llorach R, Urpí-Sardà M, Rotchés-Ribalta M, Rabassa M, Andrés-Lacueva C. Resveratrol: from dietary intake to promising therapeutic molecule. Agro Food Industry Hi-Tech. 2010;21(2):42-4.
- Zamora-Ros R, Andres-Lacueva C, Lamuela-Raventós RM, Berenguer T, Jakszyn P, Barricarte A, Ardanaz E, Amiano P, Dorronsoro M, Larrañaga N, Martínez C, Sánchez MJ, Navarro C, Chirlaque MD, Tormo MJ, Quirós JR, González CA. Estimation of dietary sources and flavonoid intake in a Spanish adult population (EPIC-Spain). Journal of American Dietetic Association. 2010;110(3):390-398. PubMed
- Andres-Lacueva C, Zamora-Ros R. Wanted: specific nutritional biomarkers for food consumption for the study of its protective role in health. British Journal of Nutrition. 2010;103(3):307-308. PubMed
- Llorach-Asunción R, Jauregui O, Urpi-Sarda M, Andres-Lacueva C. Methodological aspects for metabolome visualization and characterization: a metabolomic evaluation of the 24 h evolution of human urine after cocoa powder consumption. Journal of Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Analysis. 2010;51(2):373-381. PubMed