The purpose of the Food and Nutritional Metabolomics group is to work on different projects both related to the research of biomarkers of consumption, biomarkers of effect and disease-risk biomarkers, and related to the investigation of polyphenols in food as well as the bioavailability of these components in humans. At present we are working on the following lines of research:
- Modifications of the metabolome after food consumption (wine, nuts, olive oil, tea, functional foods...): food metabolome.
- Identification of biomarkers (endogenous metabolome) of the effect of a nutritional intervention.
- Biomarkers of disease-risk in urine, plasma and/or tissues (metabolic syndrome, obesity, cardiovascular disease).
- Analysis of polyphenols in foods, functional ingredients and biological samples.
- Cocoa, citrus, green tea, wine.
- Metabolites of cocoa flavanols and cocoa flavonols.
- Resveratrol in c-LDL, urine, plasma and tissues.
- Metabolites of catechins and gallates form green tea.
- Metabolites of flavanones in citrus fruits.
- Metabolites of blueberries in the Central Nervous System.
- Cocoa study
- Wine study
- PREDIMED study
- EPIC study
- InCHIANTI study